IN LLANGADOG, CARMARTHENSHIRE
Spend your activity holidays exploring some of the UK’s most ancient buildings and castles. Book your accommodation at Cilgwyn Manor today!
Parks, gardens and historic buildings
Aberglasney House and Gardens
- 13 miles south west of Cilgwyn Manor
- Aberglasney, Carmarthenshire, SA32 8QH
- 01558 668 998
Medieval house and gardens in the Tywi valley.
Abbey CWM HIR Hall
- 39.8 miles north of Cilgwyn Manor
- Llandrindod Wells, Powys, LD1 6PH
- 01597 851 727
A historic mansion and listed 12 acre gardens. Attractions include a lake, boathouse, waterfall, lawns, courtyards and terraces, woodland walks, gypsy caravan and shepherd’s hut – all overlooking the ruins of the 12th century abbey..
Craig-Y-Nos Country Park
- 25.9 miles south east of Cilgwyn Manor
- Brecon Road, Pen-y-Cae, Swansea Valley, SA9 1GL
- 01639 730 395
The historic grounds of Craig-y-Nos Castle are spread along the banks of the river Tywi. Enjoy the 40-acre Victorian garden with shady woodlands, meadows, ponds, lawns, rivers, picnic areas, tea room and a visitor centre.
- 11 miles south west of Cilgwyn Manor
- Nr Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire, SA19 6RT
- 01558 823 902
A national nature reserve with 18th century landscape park, historic house, wildlife walks, medieval deer park, café and a shop. Newton House is a Grade II listed country house within Dinefwr Park.
Llanelly House – Heritage Centre
- 29.9 miles south of Cilgwyn Manor
- Bridge Street, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, SA15 3UF
- 01554 772 857
Situated in an early 18th century Georgian townhouse, this is Llanelli’s premier visitor attraction for archaeology, history, genealogy and conservation.
- 44.5 miles south west of Cilgwyn Manor
- Llanfallteg, Whitland, Carmarthenshire, SA34 0XH
- 01994 240 717
Three and a half acre gardens, with sculptures and structures made from living willow.
Llyn Llech Owain Aand Mynydd Mawr Country Park
- 17.4 miles south west of Cilgwyn Manor
- Church Road, Gorslas, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, SA14 7NF
- 01269 832 229
A stunning 158-acre expanse of woods and lake land near Cross Hands. Great day out with nature trails, adventure area, walking, cycling, rough mountain bike trail and visitor centre.
National Botanic Garden of Wales
- 21.5 miles south west of Cilgwyn Manor
- Middleton Hall, Llanarthne, Carmarthenshire, SA32 8HN
- 01558 667 149
Beautiful botanic gardens in 568 acres of parkland. Historic and futuristic buildings, streams and tea house; plus lakeside and prairie walks.
Pembrey Country Park
- 38.3 miles south west of Cilgwyn Manor
- Pembrey Forest, Nr Burry Port, Carmarthenshire, SA16 0EJ
- 01554 742 424
A country park overlooking the coastal scenery of Carmarthen Bay, near the village of Pembrey and the town of Llanelli. With over 500 acres of park land, the many attractions here include the longest toboggan run in Wales, cycle hire, walks, adventure playground, café and a visitor centre.
- 10.1 miles west of Cilgwyn Manor
- Talley, Carmarthenshire (5.5 miles north of Llandeilo)
A ruined 12th century former monastery in the village of Talley. Parts of the abbey church survive.
Carmarthenshire is home to some of the most authentic and atmospheric castles in Europe. They include
Carreg Cennen Castle
- 13.6 miles south of Cilgwyn Manor
- Trapp, Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire, SA19 6UA
- 01558 822 291
The ruins of this 13th century castle stand 900 feet above the River Cennen, with views across the Preseli Hills to the west and the remote Black Mountain to the south.
- 11 miles south of Cilgwyn Manor
- Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire, SA19 6RT
- 01558 823 902
- 01443 336 000
A 12th century castle overlooking the River Tywi.
- 15.3 miles south west of Cilgwyn Manor
- Dryslwyn, Carmarthenshire, SA32 8RW
- 01443 336 000
Only fragments of this 13th century castle remain – but it’s still worth the steep climb from the car park as the views are magnificent.
- 33 miles south west of Cilgwyn Manor
- Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire, SA17 5BQ
- 01554 890 104
Overlooking the River Gwendraeth, this well-preserved castle’s great gatehouse was started in the late 1300s but not completed until 1422.
- 37 miles south west of Cilgwyn Manor
- Laugharne, Carmarthenshire, SA33 4SA
- 01994 427 906
Built in the 13th century, this castle stands on the waterfront overlooking the Taf estuary.
- 32.9 miles south west of Cilgwyn Manor
- Church Road, Llansteffan, Carmarthen, SA33 5JP
- 01443 336 000
Standing on a hill overlooking the Tywi estuary, this early 12th century castle is one of a chain of castles built by the Normans.
Newcastle Emlyn Castle
- 39.6 miles west of Cilgwyn Manor
- Newcastle Emlyn, Carmarthenshire, SA38 9AF
Built around 1240 by Meredith ap Rhys Gryg, the ruins of this castle sit on a grassy site overlooking the River Teifi.
Tel: 01550 777 118